Vauxhall Astra K Forum banner

Time for winter! 17" Astra J wheels on Astra K

11K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  bjrkhlm 
#1 ·
As I live i Sweden we do get proper winters, so about a month ago I fitted my car with these:

Wheels are 17" inch form Astra J -14 with Astra J TPMS sensors, worked great to match the J TPMS to the Astra K!
Bought this from China a while back:

So now the original 18" wheels are polished, waxed and stored for next year

The car did get alot more quiet and comfortable with 205/50 R17 studless winter tyres than with the stock 225/40 R18 :)

See less See more
#4 ·
Those J wheels look amazing! I had similar wheels on my Astra J Tourer with summer tires.

#5 ·
M1chaelR said:
The J wheels look good on the K!
Sandy85 said:
Never thought they would but the J wheels look great on the K. PS that looks like a very nice speedster you have there!
otj said:
Those J wheels look amazing! I had similar wheels on my Astra J Tourer with summer tires.
Thanks, I must say that the J wheels did suit the car a lot better than expected, I wasn't too keen on them myself at first thought but the end result is really good!

On a different note... The Speedster must stay indoors a bit longer, we got -12°C and snow at the moment...

#7 ·
Svensken said:
Aren't the wheels on the J much bigger than on the K - I mean diameter wise?
You are right!
It depends on the engine size of the Astra J, the smaller engines (and therefore 5/105 PDC) has similar diameter, but slightly bigger. For example the K use 205/55 R16 while J use 205/60 R16. So one size bigger.
However I only bought the rims with TPMS som the Astra J and had new 205/50 R17 Nokian Hakka R2 fitted to them.

Actually, one of the reasons for me to choose Astra J rims where that the 17" J wheels are 7" wide instead of the 17" K's that are 7.5" wide. Not a problem for summer tires, but for narrow winter tires :)

#8 ·
Thanks for the reply Figgz.

I opted for the original 17 inch aluminium rims with 225/55 Goodyear friction winter tires. They were included in the deal... Look nice and are actually the same model of rims that are fitted with summer tires on my other Astra.

Annother question for you:
I have noticed that the analogue and the digital speedometer don't show the same speed (they aren't coherent). If I set the cruise control at 110 km/h the analogue speedometer shows almost 115 km/h. The difference grows with the speed. I also notice that the tachometer also shows too much. On my other Astra the engine runs at just below 2 000 rpm at 110 km/h but in my new car the rpm is just above 2 000 rpm (they are both 150 hp automatic). Do you think the analogue dials are set for the slightly bigger 18 inch summer wheels? (But shouldn't the digital speedometer also be offset in that case?). Is this adjustable by a mechanic?

#9 ·
Question: Is your car lowered or does it just look that way?

I was able to get winter tires "for free" when I bought the car. Sadly it's the rims are 15", which made me regret it since I put them on.. Tires are Ultragrip Ice 2 195/65 R15. Works great in the snow and all, but 15" is to small for my taste.

Will probably get a new set til next winter season.

#10 ·
Svensken said:

I opted for the original 17 inch aluminium rims with 225/55 Goodyear friction winter tires. They were included in the deal... Look nice and are actually the same model of rims that are fitted with summer tires on my other Astra.

I have noticed that the analogue and the digital speedometer don't show the same speed (they aren't coherent). If I set the cruise control at 110 km/h the analogue speedometer shows almost 115 km/h. The difference grows with the speed. I also notice that the tachometer also shows too much. On my other Astra the engine runs at just below 2 000 rpm at 110 km/h but in my new car the rpm is just above 2 000 rpm (they are both 150 hp automatic). Do you think the analogue dials are set for the slightly bigger 18 inch summer wheels? (But shouldn't the digital speedometer also be offset in that case?). Is this adjustable by a mechanic?
https://www.tacomaworld.com/tirecalc?tires=225-40r18-225-45r17
the tires are same size

#11 ·
Svensken said:

Great if you got 17" winter tires on genuine rims for free with the purchase, however I assume you got 225/45 and not 225/55 :)

Have not seen the issue with the speedometer that you describe. If I set the cruise on 110 or 120 it keeps the same on the analogue. I'll do a test on my way home from work today to verify :)

bjrkhlm said:
Question: Is your car lowered or does it just look that way?

I was able to get winter tires "for free" when I bought the car. Sadly it's the rims are 15", which made me regret it since I put them on.. Tires are Ultragrip Ice 2 195/65 R15. Works great in the snow and all, but 15" is to small for my taste.

Will probably get a new set til next winter season.
Well spotted, lowered 30mm with Eibach springs. Some before/after pics in my other thread: http://www.astrakforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=685

15" are more comfortable and economic, but I knew I'd dislike 15" during winter time when I run 18" on the summer, hence my choice of wheels.
But maybe you can sell them to part-fund new wheels for next season?

#12 ·
Figgz said:
Well spotted, lowered 30mm with Eibach springs. Some before/after pics in my other thread: http://www.astrakforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=685

15" are more comfortable and economic, but I knew I'd dislike 15" during winter time when I run 18" on the summer, hence my choice of wheels.
But maybe you can sell them to part-fund new wheels for next season?
I initally thought I wouldn't mind the smaller size since it was only during the winter. But now I'm starting to realize that I live in Sweden where there's almost always winter... Project Persuade Wife begins now!

How's the ride quailty after the lowering? And have you experienced any benefits of the mud flaps, especially now when the roads are horrible to our poor cars?

(Hejhej från Småland förresten :) )

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.