Improved Exhaust note

The place to discuss everything else..

Improved Exhaust note

Postby EvilScotsman » Thu Dec 22, 2016 2:14 pm

I know this might sound a bit like a boy racer question but just curious if it's possible.

Love the power that comes from the 1.6T when you decide to use it but I find the exhaust note is a bit flat until you get higher up in the rev range and then it starts to sing. I was wondering if I could do something to improve that so its a bit more present lower down in the rev range so that when I decide to have a heavy right foot, the car sounds the part :twisted:

Want to keep the look of the exhaust as standard as I can as it's pretty good looking with the twin pipe at the back. Would I be able to just change the back-box for the car to give it a more pronounced note?

Ultimately, what I would be looking for is the car to be all quiet and refined when its up at speed and cruising along but when I decide to give it the beans, the "Wolf" is able to have some proper bark behind it.
Astra 1.6 SRi Nav Turbo 200PS, Power Red.
18" bi-colour alloys, driving assistance pack, parking pack sensors, privacy glass, ergonomic seats, mud-flaps, S/S pedals, S/S door sills.
EvilScotsman

Re: Improved Exhaust note

Postby ScotsDude » Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:22 pm

What he said :) Would like to hear something coming from the back end when having some fun.
ScotsDude

Postby AdieMcc » Thu Dec 22, 2016 5:31 pm

Astra K 1.4T 150 Nav. Black,18" wheels, sensors front/back, heated seats/steering wheel, shark fin aerial, washed every 2 days :D
AdieMcc

Postby Alpa-Chino » Thu Dec 22, 2016 6:20 pm

There two ways of soing it as far as I am aware.
1. More refined and expensive is doing a electronic butterfly bypass valve around the silencer and adding some cherrybomb box at the end section. That way you will have full control over the volume of the car, but it will have more roar to it even on quiet mode thanks to the back bomb. With the switch inside the car to change the setting it will cost you between 500 and 800.
2. Change silencers in your car for less restrictive ones and maybe larger diameter main pipe. Needs some testing to adjust to your liking, but the cost of the system should be below 400.

Dependend on your location I might be able to recommend you a place to go.

Hope that helps,

Luke
Luke
Elite Nav 1.6 CDTi Biturbo, Summit Whit, Intellilux LEDs, drivers assistance pack1, parking pack, sunroof, dark tinted rear windows, keyless entry and start, Ergonomic sports-style front seats (AGR-approved), Power front driver's seat.
Alpa-Chino

Postby EvilScotsman » Thu Dec 22, 2016 8:03 pm

AdieMcc wrote:Check this out.

https://youtu.be/lFF0Wnx9-NI

Interesting little mod, though got a feeling that the Astra K won't be worth of it :lol:

Thinking about it, doubt the guy would be willing to come up to Scotland to do a little mod like that.
18" bi-colour alloys, driving assistance pack, parking pack sensors, privacy glass, ergonomic seats, mud-flaps, S/S pedals, S/S door sills.
EvilScotsman

Postby EvilScotsman » Thu Dec 22, 2016 8:10 pm

Alpa-Chino wrote:There two ways of soing it as far as I am aware.
1. More refined and expensive is doing a electronic butterfly bypass valve around the silencer and adding some cherrybomb box at the end section. That way you will have full control over the volume of the car, but it will have more roar to it even on quiet mode thanks to the back bomb. With the switch inside the car to change the setting it will cost you between 500 and 800.
2. Change silencers in your car for less restrictive ones and maybe larger diameter main pipe. Needs some testing to adjust to your liking, but the cost of the system should be below 400.

Dependend on your location I might be able to recommend you a place to go.

Hope that helps,

Luke

Hmm, not sure on the butterfly bypass valve, might work better with a bigger capacity engine as its got the volume to handle it and suit the noise better. Think I've heard 1.2 Corsas running the CherryBomb Boxes before and they just sound silly using them, car pretty much farts with them on.

Thinking the silencer change and large diameter main pipe sound the better option. Basically want the car to look stock to anyone that's looking at it from the back and its only when you put the foot down does it give the almighty bark. Two areas I can get the work done would be the Ayrshire area or the Aberdeenshire area as I live between either most of the time. Know any good people to go to in those areas?
EvilScotsman

Postby Alpa-Chino » Thu Dec 22, 2016 8:48 pm

Oh no, only noticed you're Scotsman, sorry. Know no one, but should try some car groups from the are on facebook for example.
Cherry bombs sounds silly on small displacement naturally aspirated engines, because there is not enough pressure and volume of gasses in the system. Yours is a turbo, so it has the pressure needed, but to exploit the benefits to the max, I would advice to get some less restrictive middle section as well.
Luke
Elite Nav 1.6 CDTi Biturbo, Summit Whit, Intellilux LEDs, drivers assistance pack1, parking pack, sunroof, dark tinted rear windows, keyless entry and start, Ergonomic sports-style front seats (AGR-approved), Power front driver's seat.
Alpa-Chino

Postby LordSankz » Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:31 pm

I'm looking into getting a backbox (Muffler) delete done on my 1.0T, with dual exit pipes, getting quotes around the region of £300 - £350! Might even look to get the resonator deletes as well, but i heard it can effect performance and economy, so not sure .....
LordSankz

Postby Kristis » Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:43 pm

3inch catback exhaust fixes everything ;)
'16 Opel Astra 1.4T/150hp/RED/Innovation
Kristis

Return to Off-Topic Chat