Brilliant Onstar

All Vauxhall Astra K related discussions

Brilliant Onstar

Postby astranaut » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:08 am

Only had the car since Saturday (love it) and spent a few hours on Sunday setting up ONSTAR as the dealer told me nothing. Very helpful guy helped me enormously over a few chats in the car and then one on the phone as it had to be finalised on my PC not an iPad. Got there in the end and was very pleased.

After only 24 hours I needed it!! Stupidly locked the keys (and the dog) in the car. Instant panic was soon settled when my wife remembered ONSTAR telling us they could unlock the car if we mislaid the keys.
Had their phone number in my phone so called them up and within 2 minutes we were back in the car and on our way.

Might be a bit "Big Brother" but wow what a brilliant service!

Came home and set up both our phones to My Vauxhall so that we can do it ourselves if it happens again.

In all my years I have never done this before so I am wondering if there is some locking set up on the car that might have caused a lock up after unlocking the car???
2016 Astra 1.6CDTi SRi Nav 136 Sports Tourer. Power Red. Driver Assistance Pack, Parking Pack, Winter Pack, Dark Tinted Rear Windows, Steel spare wheel.
"What a difference a 'K' makes"
astranaut

Re: Brilliant Onstar

Postby Anupanu » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:08 pm

I didn't think it was possible... how did you do it?

Come to think of it, I have slammed the boot shut on a car that had just a boot button, I put the keys down in the boot and the rest as they say is history...
Luxor Blue Insignia Elite Nav ST CDTi 163
Emerald Green Astra Elite CDTi 110 with Parking Pack, Driver Pack , Intellilux and Powered AGR Sports Seats
LED rear indicators, double rear fog and Insignia rear wiper
Anupanu

Postby Anupanu » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:11 pm

Oh, and the number of times I'm outside with keys inside and I think 'I will just grab ............ from the car'
Now, out comes the mobile and Bob's your uncle...
Emerald Green Astra Elite CDTi 110 with Parking Pack, Driver Pack , Intellilux and Powered AGR Sports Seats
Anupanu

Postby esox_hu » Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:32 pm

There is a setting for it. The car is warning you with horn when you leaving the car but forgeting the key in the car.
Manual Page25 - Locking

● Any door has been opened and
all doors are now closed.
If the driver's door is not closed
properly, the electronic key remains in
the vehicle or the ignition is not off,
locking will not be permitted and a
warning chime sounds three times...
1.4 (150hp) Sports Tourer Innovation - Cool Beige
__̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡̡.__
esox_hu

Postby Anupanu » Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:53 pm

esox_hu wrote:There is a setting for it. The car is warning you with horn when you leaving the car but forgeting the key in the car.
Manual Page25 - Locking

● Any door has been opened and
all doors are now closed.
If the driver's door is not closed
properly, the electronic key remains in
the vehicle or the ignition is not off,
locking will not be permitted and a
warning chime sounds three times...

I think this refers to the Keyless entry and Start system, and it says if the key was left in the car it would not lock..... unless you both had your keys with you, you just didn't know it!?!
Astranuat, does your car have Keyless?
Anupanu

Postby astranaut » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:36 pm

No it's just the standard key. I really can't work out how I did it. I have tried various "scenarios" today and can not replicate it.

I have now got the Myvauxhall app on both my phones so I am well prepared for it next time. Will not need to let ONSTAR know what an idiot I am.
2016 Astra 1.6CDTi SRi Nav 136 Sports Tourer. Power Red. Driver Assistance Pack, Parking Pack, Winter Pack, Dark Tinted Rear Windows, Steel spare wheel.
"What a difference a 'K' makes"
astranaut

Postby Jeff16150 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:56 pm

astranaut wrote:I have now got the Myvauxhall app on both my phones so I am well prepared for it next time. Will not need to let ONSTAR know what an idiot I am.

You're not an idiot. Before I fully retired I worked part time for the biggest car supermarket and can confirm that cars do sometimes lock themselves for no obvious reason. We learnt to make sure that keys were placed on the top of the dashboard whilst they were being worked on so that our 'expert' could retrieve them fairly quickly if the car locked itself and the duplicates were not available.
Summit White 1.4T 150 Elite Nav Automatic (Ordered 05.05.2016, Delivered 19.07.2016)
Parking Pack, Power Tilt & Slide Sunroof, Steel Emergency Spare Wheel.
Jeff16150

Postby 1900sr » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:15 pm

I used to work part time at a motor auctioneers. On my first night I was told never to leave the keys in the car if it needed a jump start. Half an hour later I'm stood outside a locked Rover with a jump pack in my hands and the keys in the ignition, oops.
1.0i Turbo SRi, Power Red.
1900sr

Postby xizaccyix » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:58 am

1900sr wrote:I used to work part time at a motor auctioneers. On my first night I was told never to leave the keys in the car if it needed a jump start. Half an hour later I'm stood outside a locked Rover with a jump pack in my hands and the keys in the ignition, oops.

Have to admit I just had a little chuckle at your expense :/ - reminded me of when I somehow managed to lock my keys in a hire car 10 minutes before boarding a boat in Australia.. engine still running the lot. Stupid car.
Zac
----------------------------------------------------------------------
1.6 CDTi (136) Elite Nav, Asteroid Grey, 65 Plate
xizaccyix

Postby AlanPilk82 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:40 pm

The mobile app for this kind of thing is really good :) did your dog perhaps place its paw on the lock button? either the stud next to the window or the button forward of the mirror controls.
AlanPilk82

Next

Return to Main Astra K chat