DAB Radio

All Vauxhall Astra K related discussions

DAB Radio

Postby astranaut » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:51 am

Am I missing something or are DAB radios no better than an FM reception?

I was under the impression that it was clearer and not regional so that I could tune in to my local station when I was miles away and not lose reception as you do with FM. On a trip to Wiltshire yesterday I lost my local radio station and I was only some 50 miles away from home.

Are my expectations too high or have I misunderstood the DAB radio idea?

Any thoughts guys?
2016 Astra 1.6CDTi SRi Nav 136 Sports Tourer. Power Red. Driver Assistance Pack, Parking Pack, Winter Pack, Dark Tinted Rear Windows, Steel spare wheel.
"What a difference a 'K' makes"
astranaut

Re: DAB Radio

Postby Anupanu » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:17 pm

Don't think DAB was ever supposed to be better than FM, but it was going to be its replacement. The beauty of DAB is the extra information the signal carries. As to local over national stations, I believe if you choose a 'national' station you will get national coverage. (note: DAB coverage is still not as good as FM coverage) If you choose a local station then it is just broadcast locally. The car does tell you which stations are local and which are national.

Are you going to spill? Which station did you loose whilst going west?
Luxor Blue Insignia Elite Nav ST CDTi 163
Emerald Green Astra Elite CDTi 110 with Parking Pack, Driver Pack , Intellilux and Powered AGR Sports Seats
Anupanu

Postby Steve » Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:18 pm

Most DAB is worse quality than FM anyway, since they've lowered the bitrate of the transmission of each station so much to cram more in.
Image Astra K 1.4T 150 PS
Steve

Postby astranaut » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:38 pm

Anupanu wrote:Don't think DAB was ever supposed to be better than FM, but it was going to be its replacement. The beauty of DAB is the extra information the signal carries. As to local over national stations, I believe if you choose a 'national' station you will get national coverage. (note: DAB coverage is still not as good as FM coverage) If you choose a local station then it is just broadcast locally. The car does tell you which stations are local and which are national.

Are you going to spill? Which station did you loose whilst going west?

BBC Berkshire. No secrets!
2016 Astra 1.6CDTi SRi Nav 136 Sports Tourer. Power Red. Driver Assistance Pack, Parking Pack, Winter Pack, Dark Tinted Rear Windows, Steel spare wheel.
"What a difference a 'K' makes"
astranaut

Postby Anupanu » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:58 pm

astranaut wrote:BBC Berkshire. No secrets!

We went to Bristol over New Year and were surprised how long we could listen to Jack FM Berkshire (on DAB). Not all the way to Bristol though!
Luxor Blue Insignia Elite Nav ST CDTi 163
Emerald Green Astra Elite CDTi 110 with Parking Pack, Driver Pack , Intellilux and Powered AGR Sports Seats
Anupanu

Postby Finston Pickle » Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:44 pm

I think you have to set a feature to allow handover from one DAB signal to another. Also from DAB to FM.

I took a punt and went for it - but as I don't listen to the radio much, I don't really know if it has worked - I think it has.

The handbook seemed a bit difficult to follow on this item.
1.6 SIDI Petrol Turbo SRI Nav
AGR seats; Winter Pack; Spare Wheel; Sun Roof; Tinted Rear Windows; CD player; Parking Sensors
Finston Pickle

Postby JJ-Yorks » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:27 pm

I would personally prefer to listen to FM rather DAB but mine automatically switches to the DAB option if I select Capital on FM....but if DAB signal is lost it goes onto FM...which sounds far better
1.0Turbo Power Red (105PS/175Nm Torque....for now :D )
JJ-Yorks

Postby 1900sr » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:26 pm

The main advantages of DAB over FM RDS are that it gives capability for more channels (like digital TV, the poorer the quality the more stations you can have), and again like digital TV you've either got a good signal or no signal, so no more background hiss or other interference. Like FM the signal only travels so far, so regional stations stay regional. The national stations do stay on the same frequency throughout the country so the system doesn't need to retune as you move around. A good FM signal through a good antenna and tuner will sound better than DAB, but DAB is fine for the majority of listeners. I love my hi-fi, but I am happy with the sound of DAB in the car, which let's face it is hardly an ideal listening room.
1.0i Turbo SRi, Power Red.
1900sr

Postby 1900sr » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:27 pm

JJ-Yorks wrote:I would personally prefer to listen to FM rather DAB but mine automatically switches to the DAB option if I select Capital on FM....but if DAB signal is lost it goes onto FM...which sounds far better

I think you can turn off the autoswitching in the menu system. RTFM ;)

Edit: Just seen Finston Pickle has already said this.
1.0i Turbo SRi, Power Red.
1900sr

Postby JJ-Yorks » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:10 pm

1900sr wrote:
JJ-Yorks wrote:I would personally prefer to listen to FM rather DAB but mine automatically switches to the DAB option if I select Capital on FM....but if DAB signal is lost it goes onto FM...which sounds far better

I think you can turn off the autoswitching in the menu system. RTFM ;)

Edit: Just seen Finston Pickle has already said this.

Thanks for the info
1.0Turbo Power Red (105PS/175Nm Torque....for now :D )
JJ-Yorks

Next

Return to Main Astra K chat