Greetings from Reading

New to the Vauxhall Astra K Forums? Introduce yourself here

Greetings from Reading

Postby astranaut » Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:16 pm

Picked up a 6 month old ( ex dealer demo) SRi Nav 1.6CDTi 136 Sports Tourer yesterday and drove it back from Cardiff. Very impressive car, I am very pleased so far.
Looks good in Lava Red and has the Nav as well as the Driver Assistance Pack (standard on SRI ?) and Winter Pack and Parking Pack. I have just got to work out how it all works now but it does drive nicely and showed 64.5mpg coming back on the M4 cruising at 75mph, so that's brilliant if it's accurate?
Wlll get around to letting it park itself sometime but need to pick up a bit of courage for that I think. Any tips anyone?
Been setting up ONSTAR today and that seems very impressive too with great service over the phone from ONSTAR. My wife will be the main user ( I can't bear to part with my Saab Aero 1.9TTID ) so it's very reassuring to know she can just press a button in the car and talk to someone in an emergency. I can even check the tyre pressures before I get in the car. Well worth the money I think - wifi hotspot too!!
This all seems a much better spec car than the Elite - am I wrong?
Looking forward to sharing experiences with similar Astra fans.
2016 Astra 1.6CDTi SRi Nav 136 Sports Tourer. Lava Red. Driver Assistance Pack, Parking Pack, Winter Pack, Dark Tinted Rear Windows.
"What a difference a 'K' makes"
astranaut

Re: Greetings from Reading

Postby cooldad » Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:45 pm

Welcome to the forum!

Glad you're enjoying your Sports Tourer! :D 8-) 8-)
Astra 1.6 SRi Turbo 200 PS / 150 kW, Power Red.
'Intellilux' headlights, 18 in / 45 cm bi-colour alloys, driving assistance pack, advanced parking pack.
cooldad

Postby Chris » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:06 am

the auto parking is quite fun, but it is a bit limited, especially for London where you have to often squeeze yourself into tight spaces. For example - I parked in a space the other day that it didn't pick up as a viable space, it often parks too far out from the road (I like to tuck myself right into the kerb) and I hate being out further than everyone else as quite often I am on on roads that parking is at a premium so cars either side so you don't want to stick out further than other cars. I've also noticed that in bay parking it tends to line itself up to the cars in the next bays rather than the lines so if you try to park next to car that isn't straight it won't be straight either and I hate that. I can't use it to park on my drive as it cannot distinguish between my drive and path so parks half on the drive and on the path, but that's not the car's fault as I don't have white lines painted on drive or the cross over! Other than that it quite good! Sounds very negative but I do like it on the suitable occasions I can use it.
Chris
Astra 1.4. Turbo Automatic Elite NAV with Drivers Assist and Parking Pack. Emerald Green
Chris

Postby Anupanu » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:57 am

Welcome astranaut,

I too am from Reading, suddenly there are a few of us. Whereabouts are you?
Your car sounds well specced, but it is only the Driver Assistance pack it has over the Elite (oh, and the Sport button!) May see you around, we will have to start acknowledging other Astras as Alfa drivers do!
Luxor Blue Insignia Elite Nav ST CDTi 163
Emerald Green Astra Elite CDTi 110 with Parking Pack, Driver Pack , Intellilux and Powered AGR Sports Seats
Anupanu

Postby Proph » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:17 am

Welcome buddy, your only a few junctions up the M4 from me, contests on the car sounds like a great spec and yes the Astra is definitely feature rich do you'll have fun learning all it can do.
Have a look around the forum we have a meet coming up next month which is posted for members to compare cars match faces to posts, try to come down.
1.0 Turbo SRI NAV (105) Start/Stop Ecoflex in White
powerflex bar, silver rimsavers & matching piano black driving instructor roof sign
Proph

Postby Finston Pickle » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:40 pm

Welcome to the forum!

The Winter pack is great - the fastest heated seats that I have come across - and warm hands too.
1.6 SIDI Petrol Turbo SRI Nav
AGR seats; Winter Pack; Spare Wheel; Sun Roof; Tinted Rear Windows; CD player; Parking Sensors
Finston Pickle

Postby astranaut » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:44 pm

cooldad wrote:Welcome to the forum!

Glad you're enjoying your Sports Tourer! :D 8-) 8-)

Thanks . I a really enjoying it. My wife will be the main user, but with my beloved Saab 9-3 Aero TTiD approaching 80k miles, the Astra will get a fair bit of use I fear.
2016 Astra 1.6CDTi SRi Nav 136 Sports Tourer. Lava Red. Driver Assistance Pack, Parking Pack, Winter Pack, Dark Tinted Rear Windows.
astranaut

Postby astranaut » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:46 pm

Chris wrote:the auto parking is quite fun, but it is a bit limited, especially for London where you have to often squeeze yourself into tight spaces. For example - I parked in a space the other day that it didn't pick up as a viable space, it often parks too far out from the road (I like to tuck myself right into the kerb) and I hate being out further than everyone else as quite often I am on on roads that parking is at a premium so cars either side so you don't want to stick out further than other cars. I've also noticed that in bay parking it tends to line itself up to the cars in the next bays rather than the lines so if you try to park next to car that isn't straight it won't be straight either and I hate that. I can't use it to park on my drive as it cannot distinguish between my drive and path so parks half on the drive and on the path, but that's not the car's fault as I don't have white lines painted on drive or the cross over! Other than that it quite good! Sounds very negative but I do like it on the suitable occasions I can use it.

I shall look forward to testing it sometime soon.
Last edited by astranaut on Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
astranaut

Postby astranaut » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:51 pm

Proph wrote:Welcome buddy, your only a few junctions up the M4 from me, contests on the car sounds like a great spec and yes the Astra is definitely feature rich do you'll have fun learning all it can do.
Have a look around the forum we have a meet coming up next month which is posted for members to compare cars match faces to posts, try to come down.

Thnaks. Will try to get to the meeting.
astranaut

Postby astranaut » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:52 pm

Finston Pickle wrote:Welcome to the forum!

The Winter pack is great - the fastest heated seats that I have come across - and warm hands too.

I just don't know how I have managed with a heated steering wheel all these years. It's great isn't it?
astranaut

Return to Introductions