Hello Astra World!

New to the Vauxhall Astra K Forums? Introduce yourself here

Re: Hello Astra World!

Postby DrStrangelove » Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:19 pm

Thanks for your support @cooldad!
I am trying to find quantum of solace in thought that it will be MY2017, so hopefully even if there are some issues found so far they will be rectified (tank capacity - consumption - fuel gauge or so ...)
But now they planted in me one new doubt. Originally I wanted Asteroid gray color. Few days later dealer called me with info that old MY was no longer available for order and that asteroid gray is no longer available with it. So I had to choose other color (those were those days in second half of June when they were switching to my2017). I decided to take Granite gray. Now they are mentioning "Cool beige". Naturally I asked for explanation and after some "hmmm ... umhhhh ... " of their representative, he told me it is the same color. ...
However I am not too bothered with this, I am sure it ll be just fine!
1.4 turbo 125ps
Granite gray
DrStrangelove

Postby cooldad » Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:12 am

DrStrangelove wrote:Thanks for your support @cooldad!
I am trying to find quantum of solace in thought that it will be MY2017, so hopefully even if there are some issues found so far they will be rectified (tank capacity - consumption - fuel gauge or so ...)

You're welcome!

Let's hope VX / Opel do solve the problems you've alluded to. Having said that, I have experienced none of these so far. The only issues I've had include a slight noise from the steering column when I turn the wheel - very minor, so I may wait and get it sorted at the first service (it'll still be under warranty) and the auto start/stop seems to have a mind of its own. Again, I can live with it - it functions as it should do 90% of the time.

I've checked and double checked my fuel consumption, and the computer is very close to that which I've calculated accurately from fuel receipts and distance travelled using the odometer and, overall, I'm getting 6.4 litres/100km after having covered 3400 km - outstanding for such a quick car - and I'm not a slow driver!! This is on a mixture of long and short runs, a lot of them in heavy North London traffic. With your car, you should hopefully do even better!

With regard to the colour, I'm sure you'll be very happy with what arrives in Sep!
Astra 1.6 SRi Turbo 200 PS / 150 kW, Power Red.
'Intellilux' headlights, 18 in / 45 cm bi-colour alloys, driving assistance pack, advanced parking pack.
cooldad

Postby DrStrangelove » Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:54 am

Quick update.
Called the dealer yesterday. The car arrived in central stock in Hungary.
Dealer should have it by the end of this or next week.
1.4 turbo 125ps
Granite gray
DrStrangelove

Postby DrStrangelove » Thu Nov 17, 2016 7:58 pm

"Next week" is finally here. Picked up the car today. It looks and feels better than expected.
More to follow....
1.4 turbo 125ps
Granite gray
DrStrangelove

Postby Finston Pickle » Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:32 pm

Hi,

Enjoy your car.

Some say, me included, that it is best to use the expensive, 100% petrol, Premium petrol, if you can get it - and not an ethanol/petrol mix.
1.6 SIDI Petrol Turbo SRI Nav
AGR seats; Winter Pack; Spare Wheel; Sun Roof; Tinted Rear Windows; CD player; Parking Sensors
Finston Pickle

Postby DrStrangelove » Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:39 pm

Ah not sure about ethanol addition, no one here mentiones it. Filled it up with 98 unleaded premium ....
Oh almost forgot, parking sensors .... beyond comment
1.4 turbo 125ps
Granite gray
DrStrangelove

Postby Jeff16150 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:03 pm

Finston Pickle wrote:Some say, me included, that it is best to use the expensive, 100% petrol, Premium petrol, if you can get it - and not an ethanol/petrol mix.

I have only used Morrisons 95 in my 1.4T and have no issues whatsoever with performance of my Astra or any of my previous cars, which included an Audi A4 1.8T.

I tried several tanks of Shell and BP premium fuels in my A4 and there was no appreciable or worthwhile improvement in performance, only a bigger dent in my pocket.

Only the 1.6 has a recommendation for the 98.
Summit White 1.4T 150 Elite Nav Automatic (Ordered 05.05.2016, Delivered 19.07.2016)
Parking Pack, Power Tilt & Slide Sunroof, Steel Emergency Spare Wheel.
Jeff16150

Postby DrStrangelove » Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:12 pm

Ok people, it is a month of ownership now, and here is something like report.
In the shortest, I love it and can't fault it ... at least nothing remotely serious.
Picked it up with 5 km on the clock and so far I have done 1850 km - 1150 miles and it has been amazing. Have had excellent feeling driving it from the first one. I am really genuinely enjoying it. Still trying to run it in to the best of my knowledge and given circumstances. Thinking about changing oil and filter, maybe a few km more.
Overall consumption is 8.1 l/100km - 34.9 mpg (best 7.5 l/100 km - 38 mpg, worst 8.7 l/100 km - 33 mpg per tank) which is maybe a bit higher than hoped for but not unexpected. Naimly, I was driving very conservative with rpm never above 3k at the beginning, now up to 3,5k. The biggest chunk of this was made on highway where I was trying to vary rpm from 2,5 to 3,5k every few mins, as I have read that constant load for a long time is not good for new engine. So acceleration every few minutes, however gentle it is, did increase consumption. Also few other things had some impact, such as my office is very near 2km from home, was stuck in city centar jam few times and outside temperatures are +5 to -7 C most of the time these days. BC was off 0,3 to 0,7….. Tolerable although not something I hoped for. Petrol 98.
When filled up, fuel gauge shows above full for like 70-80 km and then drops more or less linearly, same experience as with previous cars.
Bottom line I am hoping for consumption to get a bit better but not unsatisfied as this is 2-3 l/100km less than my old Alfa which has 165hp and almost the same as wife's 1.3 Yaris 99hp ....
1.4 turbo 125ps
Granite gray
DrStrangelove

Postby DrStrangelove » Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:48 pm

Exterior and this color looks great for me and I wouldn't spend too much time here because it is matter of taste, but imo one of the best looking hatches out there. I love it's smooth DRLs, and not string of separate bulbs, how they change to indicators ….
Dipped and long beams (no matrix) are good enough, but will probably look for some bit whiter quality H bulbs when first goes off. Auto lights are not instant but very very good.
Interior is of great quality, everything well placed and easily accessible. Logical too. There is only faint sound from steering column at crawling speeds, sometimes. Dual AAC works well, at least for heating, didn't have need for cooling.
Driving the car is a real pleasure. Nimble in city jam and comfortable on longer journey. Cabin is very quiet at traveling speeds, engine cultivated and with enough grunt to take you over speed limit without noticing :) Handling excellent for my needs and knowledge but as I said still taking it easy for run in. Tried cruise control just for a minute just to see how it works. Was a bit weird at first as this is my first car with it, but got used very fast. Really awkward was speed limit, but I guess it will be useful after a bit more getting used to. Wheels are 16 in alloys.
Intellilink is pretty good, Android Auto works ok, sound ok ….
Ah yes, luggage and glove compartments could be bigger.
1.4 turbo 125ps
Granite gray
DrStrangelove

Postby DrStrangelove » Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:06 pm

I love this light sensitive cabin rear view mirror so much!!! Went on a 350km - 220 mi trip the other day. Half of it was at night on highway. it is so good against bullies or lazy or forgetful drivers that don't change from long to dipped beam when behind someone.
Auto wipers are a bit of hit and miss but more useful than not.
1.4 turbo 125ps
Granite gray
DrStrangelove

Previous

Return to Introductions