Vauxhall Astra K Forum banner

Creacking when stearing wheel is turned.

15K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  FiestaRed 
#1 ·
Hello,
Hope someone can help I have this creaking noise from some ware in the engine bay or steering I through it was because the underside was dry but have just done a 100mile motorway run and it is just the same Elite Nav Turbo 1.4 (2,200) miles.

Regards Erica. :?

#2 ·
Hi, Erica!

There have been several posts / threads on here highlighting issues with steering column noise and the jury still seems to be out as to whether it's a normal phenomenon or, indeed, whether it's an actual fault (it seems to vary from dealer to dealer). Mine, for example, thought it was a fault, but there have been other posts detailing reasons why it isn't!! Confused? So am I!! :eek: :shock: :? I know some have got their dealers to try and correct it with varying degrees of success. I've lived with mine and hardly notice it now, so I'm leaving well alone for the time being, perhaps waiting until its first service.

Anyway, I don't actually appear to experience the same noise as you. Mine sounds more like a low 'whirring' sound as I turn the wheel in either direction and is definitely coming from the column inside the car and certainly not (as far as I can tell) from under the bonnet.

Have a look at this thread, for instance, although there are many others:

http://www.astrakforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2094&p=14993&hilit=steering+column+nosie#p14993

If you don't mind my saying so, it might have been better to have posted this in the 'Faults and Technical' section and there may have been more responses.

Have you asked your dealer about this, by the way?

#4 ·
Im a car mechanic and mine does the same. Remove the top mountiing and cover it in grease... Job done.. The rubber makes a groaning nois especially when the car has been left say over night. when the rubber warms up it goes away. worse when cold outside. its the rubber mounting on the bodywork thats all.. Takes 10 mins a side to do..

#5 ·
Sanitizer said:
Im a car mechanic and mine does the same. Remove the top mountiing and cover it in grease... Job done.. The rubber makes a groaning nois especially when the car has been left say over night. when the rubber warms up it goes away. worse when cold outside. its the rubber mounting on the bodywork thats all.. Takes 10 mins a side to do..
Sorry to revive such an old thread but my car is doing this and it appears to be getting worse, what top mount do you mean? Strut tops?
Cheers
Ash

#6 ·
I had the strut top mounts replaced under warranty and that got rid of the creaking moise when turning the steering wheel to and fro when stopped still. If they've gone I don't think grease is the answer - it seems to be a common Vx fault now seen on the Grandland X as well.

The other tapping noises went after the front anti roll bar links were replaced.

All quiet on the car front now.

#8 ·
Finston Pickle said:
I had the strut top mounts replaced under warranty and that got rid of the creaking moise when turning the steering wheel to and fro when stopped still. If they've gone I don't think grease is the answer - it seems to be a common Vx fault now seen on the Grandland X as well.

The other tapping noises went after the front anti roll bar links were replaced.

All quiet on the car front now.
Didn't realise the Grandland X was also prone to the same creaking noise problems the Astra J has suffered for so long. I was considering this as my next car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.