Vauxhall Astra K Forum banner

Want to Install a Shark Finn Antenna

100K views 143 replies 38 participants last post by  leslawck55 
#1 ·
as you know there are 4 kind of antenna is available for astra k which you can see them in the attachment.

My car has the longest antenna of 4 of them :lol: so i wanna change it with a shark finn. I want something like fourth car's antenna -large one-. But i need some recommendation.

Thank you!:)

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm interested to see if anyone knows whether this is possible as well! I've read for past Astras you can retrofit the insignia fin, but there is a loss in signal. Is it possible to fit the fin from the Nav onto the non-Nav cars with comparable signal? Or do the Nav cars have a secondary antenna located else-where to bolster signal?

#4 ·
RG90 said:
I'm interested to see if anyone knows whether this is possible as well! I've read for past Astras you can retrofit the insignia fin, but there is a loss in signal. Is it possible to fit the fin from the Nav onto the non-Nav cars with comparable signal? Or do the Nav cars have a secondary antenna located else-where to bolster signal?
Astra J and K with integrated navigation have the radio and DAB antennas integrated in the rear window stripes.
Shark Finn Antenna is only there for OnStar and GPS, not radio.

#5 ·
astramaster said:
RG90 said:
Astra J and K with integrated navigation have the radio and DAB antennas integrated in the rear window stripes.
I dont have ontar. so do my car has a antenna which integrated in the rear window strips or just a normal one?

#7 ·
sebati said:
astramaster said:
RG90 said:
I dont have ontar. so do my car has a antenna which integrated in the rear window strips or just a normal one?
So you don't have OnStar. But you have navigation, right? Your antenna is like the 2nd or 3rd picture?

#12 ·
astramaster said:
Julian1984 said:
Hi!

I've got a car with the 3er antenna... Is anyhow to change it to a shark one? (I've got onstar, but no integrated navigation)

Thanks!
:arrow:
astramaster said:
So, if you change to a shark fin antenna, you'll have to compensate with an indoor antenna for example.
Thanks!
I thought that it was only for 2nd model.

#13 ·
my car is a elite with onstar and dab but no navigation and mine is the 4th one in the pic

i really prefer the shark fin,i have had the long part of the antenna off for washing the car and i think it looks better! also it did not affect the signal in anyway! but i am scared it will cause damage with water entering the hole. If i can get a very short stubby black arial or a cap for the hole it would be great!

i was wondering if anyone could answer this for me? see the screw in long part of the antenna? is it a standard thread across nearly any car? i was wondering as i dont want to buy a stubby one to find it does not fit or worse damage the threads

#14 ·
somervillearron said:
my car is a elite with onstar and dab but no navigation and mine is the 4th one in the pic

i really prefer the shark fin,i have had the long part of the antenna off for washing the car and i think it looks better! also it did not affect the signal in anyway! but i am scared it will cause damage with water entering the hole. If i can get a very short stubby black arial or a cap for the hole it would be great!

i was wondering if anyone could answer this for me? see the screw in long part of the antenna? is it a standard thread across nearly any car? i was wondering as i dont want to buy a stubby one to find it does not fit or worse damage the threads
I had a stubby one off eBay for my H and it fit fine, no damage, slightly less signal. But some scally stole it one day! Replaced it with my old one and that is still on the car to this day, no problem with the thread or alteration in original signal.

#15 ·
Does anyone have the spare part number for the shark finn? I think, that I would try to order one, and see if I can modify the body of the finn, in order to have the original look, without having the need of using a unoriginal case.
I have seen one like this (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Orig-Opel-GM-Shark-Fin-GPS-GSM-GPRS-Telefon-Hai-Dach-Antenne-13241308-6784754-/400342463001), which I assume, is not the right one - but it should be possible to modify it to fit the FM-antenna inside and take out the GPS/Onstar module.

#16 ·
So I am confused.

There are four roof aerial possibilities and as far as I can make out five things the aerial / fin must do. These are:

1, FM/AM radio
2, DAB radio
3, OnStar
4, mobile internet for WiFi
5, navigation

It would make sense to me that OnStar and WiFi could be placed together, so lets call it four separate receivers.

Next question is in what combination are these available in?

I will assume that FM/AM radio is standard across the range, but DAB isn't across Europe is it? Navigation is stand alone optional, but OnStar? If you get OnStar in Europe do you also get DAB?

So UK availability as far as I can tell is

FM/AM Radio plus DAB

plus optional OnStar

plus optional Nav

Which aerial do we not get in the UK then? I have only seen two, I think , the third and fourth option. Does anyone in the UK have anything different?

#19 ·
Anupanu said:
So I am confused.

There are four roof aerial possibilities and as far as I can make out five things the aerial / fin must do. These are:

1, FM/AM radio
2, DAB radio
3, OnStar
4, mobile internet for WiFi
5, navigation

It would make sense to me that OnStar and WiFi could be placed together, so lets call it four separate receivers.

Next question is in what combination are these available in?

I will assume that FM/AM radio is standard across the range, but DAB isn't across Europe is it? Navigation is stand alone optional, but OnStar? If you get OnStar in Europe do you also get DAB?

So UK availability as far as I can tell is

FM/AM Radio plus DAB

plus optional OnStar

plus optional Nav

Which aerial do we not get in the UK then? I have only seen two, I think , the third and fourth option. Does anyone in the UK have anything different?
Well.. If you don't have the OnStar and the Intellilink 900 (Nav), then the FM/AM band and DAB is wired to the roof antenna.
If you have the OnStar, you will NOT have a shark finn antenna, since the OnStar module is built into the roof antenna together with FM/AM and DAB. Having the NAV onboard gives you the shark finn, and the FM/AM and DAB is wired into the rear window. So basically the shark finn only supports GPS/WiFi and the FM/AM/DAB is supported by a built in antenna in rear window.
Note: I have discovered, that the rear window states "ANTENNA", which tells me, that the rear window is the same as the navigation version. So all in all, I must say, that I think, that you could wire the FM/AM/DAB to the rear window, without any troubles. But the big question is: WHY ON EARTH HAVEN'T THEY WIRED THE SAME WAY IN THE REAR WINDOW SINCE ALL IS PREPARED??

#20 ·
So what you're saying is that even with your AM/FM/DAB aerial on the roof the rear screen is set up ready to be an antenna too, even if not wired up?
Where is the cost efficiency in that? I guess the way to confirm would be to see how many different versions of the rear screen there were...

#23 ·
Well. Found the original OEM shark finn for Intellilink 900. I know it is from Astra J, but it is the same antenna used in Astra K.
They come in 3 different variants, GPS only, OnStar and GPS and non function dummie.
http://ecat24.com/opel/catalog/part/1/10/591/1723/16648,16637/

If the cars already has the wirering ready for rear window, all it needs might be this module (1. GM: 1784042) to be installed in the headliner. Then you could switch out with the dummie shark finn. Though it takes a bit skill to remove the headliner and put it back again.
http://ecat24.com/opel/catalog/part/1/10/591/1723/16639,16645,16642/