Debadge the Astra

Useful How To posts
bjrkhlm
Astra Model: 1.0T

Debadge the Astra

Post by bjrkhlm » Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:52 am

Hi all,

This will be my first forum post. As I debadged my Astra K this last weekend, I thought I would share the experience. Mine is an Opel as I live in Sweden. Our trim-lines are differently named (and differs in some places). But the engine lineup is the same. I have the 1.0T-engine with the terrible "ECOFLEX"-emblem on the back of the car.

As I am quite a clean-car-kind of guy, the emblems made the car not so clean-looking. It was also difficult to clean around the badges.

First of all, this was a very easy process. I think both the adhesive used by Opel/Vauxhall is not of the "worst" kind and the fact that the car is quite new was a factor in this.

All you need is:
Hairdryer/heatgun
Dental floss/fishing line
Microfiber cloths
Polish
Wax (or similar of choice)

In preperation, please give the car a proper wash. The less dirt around the badges, the less risk of damaging the paint.

Step 1 - Heat up the badges you want to remove
I used a hairdryer. Take it easy and move the hairdryer/heatgun around. Feel if the badges are staring to loose up by using your hands. Don't use to much heat as it risks damaging the paint. When you can move the badges, turn off the heatgun/hairdryer and move to step 2.

Step 2 - Remove the badges with fishing line / dental floss
I used fishing line. Just grab it with both hands and use it to get in underneath the badges. Do this gently from one side to the other by moving the fishing line up and down. If necessary, apply more heat. It's easier to do one at a time. For example, the ECO-badge is one part, as well as the "FLEX". The R and A in Astra is one part. So do one part/letter at a time, applying heat as you go. When all the badges are removed, move to step 3.

Step 3 - Cleaning up
Remove as much adhesive as you can by hand. For me, most of it stayed on the badges. The rest I was able to remove by hand (not using my nails). Do this gently, as for me there was a lot of dust/dirt around the badges.

When all the adhesive was removed, I got a microfiber cloth really wet (with some car shampoo and water) and then I just put it on where the badges have been. This was to remove all the loose dirt without rubbing it into the paint. I suppose it's also possible to just rinse it off with a hose/pressure washer. But I wanted to keep the surrounding area as dry as possible since it was a sunny day.

When most of the dirt was removed without rubbing, I simply rubbed it with another microfiber cloth to remove what was still there. When the area was cleaned, I polished it up using some gentle polising. Try putting some water in it. If you see the water forming around where the badges previously was, it's not clean enough.

Step 4 - Putting on protection
Here you can do as you prefer. Either use sealant or some kind of wax to proctect the surface where the badges was.

Step 5 - Admire your work

cooldad
Astra Model: 1.6 SRi Turbo 200PS
Astra Options: 18" Alloys + IntelliLux LED Matrix Headlights
Astra Colour: Power Red

Re: Debadge the Astra

Post by cooldad » Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:35 am

Sorry no one's got back to you on this before now - only just spotted your post. Thanks for this - I read it with interest :D :D
Astra 1.6 SRi Turbo 200 PS / 150 kW, Power Red.
'Intellilux' headlights, 18 in / 45 cm bi-colour alloys, driving assistance pack, advanced parking pack.

Anupanu
Astra Model: Elite 1.6CDTi 110
Astra Options: Intellilux, Driver & Parking Pack, AGR Power Seats
Astra Colour: Emerald Green

Post by Anupanu » Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:30 am

Up late cooldad...

I too missed this post. It is something I have done before, certainly my 1.2 Corsa looked better for badge removal. I did it too on my Astra Sport way back in '96, but only because someone stole the A's so I had a 'str'

I haven't worked out how you would remove the Griffin/Opel badge as yet, though...
Had
5 Nova/Corsa
4 Astra, including this one
4 Cavalier/Vectra/Insignia, including this one

JJ-Yorks
Astra Model: 5-door SRi 1.0Turbo
Astra Colour: Power Red

Post by JJ-Yorks » Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:01 am

I just pulled my ecoflex badge off..the adhesive is not very strong on the badges when new..in a matter of fact you could slide it around with a little bit of force....mine now has a turbo badge in its place...I was fed up of people thinking it was a diesel with the ecoflex badge fitted
1.0Turbo Power Red (105PS/175Nm Torque....for now :D )

Anupanu
Astra Model: Elite 1.6CDTi 110
Astra Options: Intellilux, Driver & Parking Pack, AGR Power Seats
Astra Colour: Emerald Green

Post by Anupanu » Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:00 am

JJ-Yorks wrote:I just pulled my ecoflex badge off..the adhesive is not very strong on the badges when new..in a matter of fact you could slide it around with a little bit of force....mine now has a turbo badge in its place...I was fed up of people thinking it was a diesel with the ecoflex badge fitted
Interesting that you have put a Turbo badge on. Mine has CDTi on the back in black, it is a non Stop Start 110, the Stop Start 110 has ECOFLEX I believe and the 136 which also has Stop Start goes back to CDTi. Confused? Yes. Pleased I don't have ECOFLEX? Yes. Going to debadge anyway? Probably
Had
5 Nova/Corsa
4 Astra, including this one
4 Cavalier/Vectra/Insignia, including this one

Slartibartfast

Post by Slartibartfast » Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:18 am

The "Astra" and black "TURBO" badges on the back of mine are fine, don't bother me at all.

The silver "SRI" badges on the wings are more annoying though, they don't go with the rest of it at all. They may well have to go. I'll give them a jiggle and see if they're loose enough to pull off but I think I might need to heat them. I hadn't thought of using fishing line to lift them if need be so thanks bjrkhlm for that.

First car I debadged was an H reg 130 SRi Cavalier, I didn't like the red SRi on the front doors of that either.
MY17 Astra 1.4i Turbo (150ps) SRi Nav. Emerald Green with tinted rear windows.

bjrkhlm
Astra Model: 1.0T

Post by bjrkhlm » Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:51 am

Slartibartfast wrote:The "Astra" and black "TURBO" badges on the back of mine are fine, don't bother me at all.

The silver "SRI" badges on the wings are more annoying though, they don't go with the rest of it at all. They may well have to go. I'll give them a jiggle and see if they're loose enough to pull off but I think I might need to heat them. I hadn't thought of using fishing line to lift them if need be so thanks bjrkhlm for that.

First car I debadged was an H reg 130 SRi Cavalier, I didn't like the red SRi on the front doors of that either.
On mine I was mostly annoyed by the fact the Ecoflex-badge was in two different fonts. So three different fonts if including "Astra" (OCD I know...). But even if it was in the same font I would probably have removed it anyways. I hate branding on stuff I dont get paid for. First thing I did was remove everything with the dealerships name on it (license plate holder and back window sticker) plus a sticker from a detailing company that prepared the car.

If it was possible to remove the Opel-logos I'd probably do that too.

Fishing line or dental floss is probably the way to go. You can use more violent methods but I think that only risks damaging the paint. If heated it's butter smooth!

Return to “How To”