Fuel gauge reading

Faults and Technical chat for the Vauxhall Astra K
1900sr
Astra Model: SRi 1.0
Astra Options: None
Astra Colour: Power Red

Re: Fuel gauge reading

Post by 1900sr » Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:01 pm

I did bring the poor fuel economy up with VX customer service, this was their reply

"We were sorry to learn of your concerns with regard to your new vehicle’s fuel economy and welcome the opportunity to comment.

Please be advised that the published fuel economy figures are established from testing carried out in accordance with EU regulations, under laboratory testing conditions. Inevitably, fuel consumption results will differ between individual drivers and also the roads on which vehicles are driven. As you may be aware, a number of factors can affect the final mpg figure experienced.

Notwithstanding the above, if you have any concerns with your vehicle’s performance, you may wish to contact your local or preferred Vauxhall dealership, who will be able to check for any manufacturing or material defect.

We trust this information will be helpful to you and we hope you will enjoy your new vehicle.

Kind regards"

I'll be interested to see what response you get.
1.0i Turbo SRi, Power Red.

Razormatt
Astra Model: Elite Nav 1.4T (150PS)
Astra Options: Parking Sensors
Astra Colour: Carbon Flash

Post by Razormatt » Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:31 pm

I've noticed that from the first half of the tank I get around 140 miles and the second half I get around 200-220
Carbon Flash Elite Nav 1.4 (150PS) Turbo

sebati

Post by sebati » Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:40 pm

Its almost same on my side. Second half is much slower. So there should be a problem. Well i know also, lots of astra k owner in turkey who are troubling with this issue. We've tried a few times to full the tank but we could fulled only 45Lt. Is there any possibility that capacity of fuel tank is 44 or something but not 48 Lt?
Last edited by sebati on Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deep Sky Blue 1.6 CDTI 136 HP Execellence(Elite) MT6 MY2016 with 17" alloys + Winter Pack-2

astramaster

Post by astramaster » Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:43 pm

How many hp is your engine, cornishtaz? (you also need to correct this info in the member's gallery)
It would be useful to compare and analyse all the affected engines...

astramaster

Post by astramaster » Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:45 pm

sebati wrote:Its almost same on my side. Second half is much slower. So there should be a problem. Well i know also, lots of astra k owner in turkey who are troubling with this issue. We've tried a few times to full the tank but we could fulled only 45Lt. Is there any possibility that capacity of fuel tank is 44 or something but not 48 Lt?
Please inform also what's your engine.
It would be useful to compare and analyse all the different affected engines...

1900sr

Post by 1900sr » Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:50 pm

sebati wrote:Its almost same on my side. Second half is much slower. So there should be a problem. Well i know also, lots of astra k owner in turkey who are troubling with this issue. We've tried a few times to full the tank but we could fulled only 45Lt. Is there any possibility that capacity of fuel tank is 44 or something but not 48 Lt?
I'm sure the tank is 48 litres, as the Onstar app does show 48 litres when the car is full, although it claims it's only 91% full at that. As I posted earlier in the thread

"As an aside, to get it absolutely full they recommend filling until first click, waiting a few seconds, going to second click, waiting again and going to third click. Apparently the design of the tank means the pressure build up a bit quicker than normal. The owners handbook does say after cut off it can be topped up with a maximum of two further doses."

Before when I was filling to first click, then immediately pressing the trigger again until second click I wasn't getting a full 48 litres.

UKtekkie
Astra Model: SRi Nav 1.4T (due March)
Astra Options: Intellilux, Parking, Winter, Sunroof, AGR, Climate
Astra Colour: Red

Re: Fuel gauge read

Post by UKtekkie » Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:53 pm

I can understand that real world performance is unlikely to match standardised test conditions (which to be fair to Vauxhall are mandated for all cars and outside of Vauxhall's control). However, this doesn't explain why it's fuel measurement is so far out.
Also worked out my consumption I travelled 500.8 miles average reading was 61.8mpg, but if you work out mileage and fill up amount I get 52.6mpg.
So the car thinks it used 500.8 / 61.8 = 8.10 gallons
I'm guessing you topped up by 500.8 / 52.6 = 9.52 gallons

i.e. The car is out by 9.52 / 8.10 = 1.175 = 17.5%.

Now, there are two different gallons: A UK imperial gallon is 4.546 litres but a US gallon is 3.785 litres. The ratio is 1.2 or or 20%. I wonder if they've actually confused the two, especially if the software were developed by GM in the US.

(The spec says 48 litres or 10.5 imperial gallons which would be 12.6 US gallons.)

The litre value could be wrong too if they've used the wrong gallon/litre conversion.
Red Astra SRi Nav 1.4i (150) with Intellilux, Parking Pack, Sunroof, Climate Control, Winter Pack, AGR seat.

sebati

Post by sebati » Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:56 pm

nuno50 wrote:
Please inform also what's your engine.
It would be useful to compare and analyse all the different affected engines...

Yes of course. Mine is 1.6 cdti 136hp Mt6. But i know at least 10 owner of 1.4t 150hp who also have that problem.
Deep Sky Blue 1.6 CDTI 136 HP Execellence(Elite) MT6 MY2016 with 17" alloys + Winter Pack-2

sebati

Post by sebati » Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:58 pm

1900sr wrote:
I'm sure the tank is 48 litres, as the Onstar app does show 48 litres when the car is full, although it claims it's only 91% full at that. As I posted earlier in the thread

"As an aside, to get it absolutely full they recommend filling until first click, waiting a few seconds, going to second click, waiting again and going to third click. Apparently the design of the tank means the pressure build up a bit quicker than normal. The owners handbook does say after cut off it can be topped up with a maximum of two further doses."

Before when I was filling to first click, then immediately pressing the trigger again until second click I wasn't getting a full 48 litres.

But couldnt be possible that onstar also "thinks" that tank is 48 Lt. Have you ever succeed to full 45 or more Lt to tank?

1900sr

Post by 1900sr » Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:20 pm

I've never run it empty enough to get 48 litres in, the most I've put in is 42 litres. However if Onstar thought the tank was 48 litres it would report it 100% when it thought it had 48 in. I believe the car thinks it has a 52litre tank. Certainly if I look at how much fuel Onstar reports it has before I fill up, and then add how much I put in it always works out at 48 litres.

Return to “Faults & Technical”