Fuel gauge reading

Faults and Technical chat for the Vauxhall Astra K

Re: Fuel gauge reading

Postby PACMANIA » Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:42 pm

Mate I had the same problem mine was reading only 91 percent full on a full tank. It's cost £42 to fill up to 91 percent however when I squeeze a extra £4 worth of fuel in it then updated the app. It read full. And there was no update on mine. To prove my fiery why not try it. Fill up to like normal update the app if it says 91percent. Return to the pump and get a fews quids worth of fuel in it. Then update it then you find it will read full. Hope that help others will say doesn't work. But it works for me. Try it what have you got to lose
PACMANIA

Postby PACMANIA » Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:00 pm

Cool did you have a fuel update done on your car
PACMANIA

Postby 1900sr » Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:13 pm

Freeman3030 wrote:I'm relieved in a way that people are having this problem so I don't feel alone. I purchased an Astra k 2 weeks ago and have filled it up 3 times now and the fuel gauge has never read full despite me pulling the nozzle out slightly and continuing to fill at a slow rate. If I go to my local dealer can the attempt to fix the issue under warrantee or do I have to pay for a fix as this appears to be an issue many seems to suffer with?

The software update should be free, however in my experience it doesn't completely cure the problem. The gauge will read full, but will under-read most of the rest of the way down the scale. I'm still in discussion with Vauxhall regarding trying to get a solution to this, but don't know how successful I'll be.
1.0i Turbo SRi, Power Red.
1900sr

Postby Anupanu » Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:22 am

Just to confirm, my MY17 shows full on the gauge and on the app too. It does stay high on the gauge for a while and then drop like a stone to about half way (that's all I've seen so far)
Luxor Blue Insignia Elite Nav ST CDTi 163
Emerald Green Astra Elite CDTi 110 with Parking Pack, Driver Pack , Intellilux and Powered AGR Sports Seats
LED rear indicators, double rear fog and Insignia rear wiper
Anupanu

Postby James 33 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:57 pm

Mines had the update and reads full but after only 30 miles will be on 7/8 and after 130 miles will be down to half.
Emerald Green Elite Nav 1.4 Turbo
James 33

Postby andreyzh » Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:34 am

Mine reads full alright. However, it stays full for a while and then very quickly drops to about 3/4 of a tank. From there onwards it's more predictable.
Lava Red Innovation 1.0T
andreyzh

Postby morgoth » Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:36 am

andreyzh wrote:Mine reads full alright. However, it stays full for a while and then very quickly drops to about 3/4 of a tank. From there onwards it's more predictable.

I think it's actually intentional behavior because seeing full tank makes people feel better (rather than dropping needle instantly after refueling) - see this http://www.npr.org/2011/04/02/135064825/the-gas-gauge-says-full-but-thats-not-quite-true
morgoth

Postby andreyzh » Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:44 am

Yep, read that one before. I don't really mind, though I would prefer accurate reading myself. As long as it doesn't show half full when it's actually empty I'm cool :)
Lava Red Innovation 1.0T
andreyzh

Postby bjrkhlm » Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:08 am

This is what mine looks like after fill-up. And yes, I've had the update (although it obviously did not work properly).

One time, I actually got a full reading for about 2-3 minutes immediatly after fill-up. But by the time I got home (less than 1 km from the gas station), the reading was down quite a lot.. That time I did 3 clicks with a lot of time inbetween.
bjrkhlm

Postby Paulch » Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:33 am

Hi

I've noticed recently that I am struggling to get my gauge to show full again. When the update was applied I consistently got the tank to show full. The last couple of times I've filled up it has left the needle halfway between the 7/8s and full markers despite putting in another couple of pounds after the first click.

Cheers

Paul
SRI Nav 1.6T (200). Parking pack, Climate control and spare wheel. Power Red.
Paulch

PreviousNext

Return to Faults & Technical