I love my car .... but ...

Faults and Technical chat for the Vauxhall Astra K
Mowerman
Astra Model: Elite Nav
Astra Colour: Lava red

I love my car .... but ...

Post by Mowerman » Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:05 pm

I've has my car about a month now

Generally I'm delighted with it - it's the 136hp diesel and is the first diesel car (as opposed to van) I've had since a MK1 Sierra. Performance is MUCH better than I thought it would be and I'm getting well over 45 mpg without making any deliberate attempt to drive economically....

BUT I have a couple of really annoying issues that just shouldn't be on a new car

1. I have what sounds line a worn rear wheel bearing noise coming from nearside rear.

2. The automatic lights seem to have a mind of their own. I don't care that the headlights come on in the middle of the day in bright sunlight but I DO care that the dash and infotainment screens go dim so I can't see them easily which is a safety issue.

3 Can't get properly registered with onstar. According to them it's all set up, but WiFi doesn't work and there are no onstar options available in the smartphone app.

Anybody else having similar issues?

Chris
Astra Model: Elite Nav
Astra Options: Driver Assist and Parking Pack
Astra Colour: Emerald Green

Re: I love my car .... but ...

Post by Chris » Sat Dec 31, 2016 8:33 pm

only the lights which come on when I don't think it is warranted at all, and yesterday in the fog they never came on at all! OnStar was all set up for me by my Dealer and checked before I drove of with it. Sounds like you need to go back to your dealer, esp re the wheel. Hope it all gets sorted soon.
Chris
Astra 1.4. Turbo Automatic Elite NAV with Drivers Assist and Parking Pack. Emerald Green

Proph
Astra Model: 1.0T SRI NAV Ecoflex (105) S/S
Astra Colour: Summit White

Post by Proph » Sat Dec 31, 2016 8:54 pm

Yes I also noticed the auto lights don't react to foggy conditions during the day
1.0 Turbo SRI NAV (105) Start/Stop Ecoflex in White
powerflex bar, silver rimsavers & matching piano black driving instructor roof sign

1900sr
Astra Model: SRi 1.0
Astra Options: None
Astra Colour: Power Red

Post by 1900sr » Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:29 pm

I wouldn't expect auto lights to work in fog, mind you they do seem to like coming on in bright conditions (usually a low sun I think?).
1.0i Turbo SRi, Power Red.

Anupanu
Astra Model: Elite 1.6CDTi 110
Astra Options: Intellilux, Driver & Parking Pack, AGR Power Seats
Astra Colour: Emerald Green

Post by Anupanu » Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:37 am

The lights come on when its dark , fog isn't dark so I can understand that. There is a rheostat to turn up the dash lights, but I don't know whether it will turn up enough for you. I was driving home this evening with my Google Maps on my 4.0, when the lights came on the map went black, but was still visible. As to OnStar, I sat in a carpark on the phone to them just after getting the car, but it only started to work fully once I logged in at home too. OnStar sent me an email link. As to the suspension noise, that's always a dealer visit, sorry I cant help
Had
5 Nova/Corsa
4 Astra, including this one
4 Cavalier/Vectra/Insignia, including this one

Sri150

Post by Sri150 » Sun Jan 01, 2017 2:12 am

I am also noticing that the auto lights have a mind of their own.....

In bright daylight they seem to have dipped beam on most of the time.Takes a very bright sunny day to turn them off

They seem slow to react to changing light conditions.

Really annoying you can't override the auto function to just have DRL only when the auto setting seems pretty hopeless. Might go through a lot of bulbs with this car lol

irangeley
Astra Model: Astra K SRI Diesel 2016 VX65NRF
Astra Options: 18" Diamond cut wheeels, parking aids

Post by irangeley » Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:35 pm

Yes, I have had my Astra K 3 months now which I like tremendously, but mine also switches its lights on when in sunlight Mmmm otherwise great car, its a SRI diesel.

AlanPilk82
Astra Model: 1.4 SRI
Astra Colour: Flame Red

Post by AlanPilk82 » Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:49 pm

Wifi is not done by OnStar, you have to set that up yourself. I believe if you have the Wifi switched on you search for it through your phone and connect. Once connected you go into your internet browser app and it takes you to the setup page.

I don't like how sensitive the autolights are either so having to just do them myself.

Swagger
Astra Model: Astra k. 1.6i sri turbo 200 bhp
Astra Options: Light pack. Driving pack
Astra Colour: Grey

Post by Swagger » Sun Jan 01, 2017 4:20 pm

I also get the noise at the back of my car but to me it's more like a turbulence sound. I will mention it next month at its 1st service

ZappyPayload

Post by ZappyPayload » Sun Jan 01, 2017 5:47 pm

Couldn't agree more about the lights, especially in the sun. People have even flashed me and pointed at my headlights before :-D.

I suspect if we ask VX they will say its a safety feature, if it was it would know the difference between night and day and not dim the interior during bright sunlight making the screen very difficult to read.

Return to “Faults & Technical”