Mobile phone for IntelliLink

Faults and Technical chat for the Vauxhall Astra K
robfox

Mobile phone for IntelliLink

Post by robfox » Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:05 pm

I've got a 66 plate Astra SRi. It doesn't have a sat nav, so I want to get a new mobile phone that can connect to Intellilink and display a sat nav on the touchscreen. Do iPhones and Android phones both work well, or is one better supported than the other? Do all recent Android phones work well, or is there a minimum recommended spec?

UKtekkie
Astra Model: SRi Nav 1.4T (due March)
Astra Options: Intellilux, Parking, Winter, Sunroof, AGR, Climate
Astra Colour: Red

Re: Mobile phone for IntelliLink

Post by UKtekkie » Wed Dec 28, 2016 12:53 am

No experience of Android but AirPlay from iPhone works really well. Integration with head unit is very slick and it's easy to switch between car radio and iPhone with a single button press.

Only stupid thing is that a short press of steering wheel speak button activates car voice control while a long press is needed to reach Siri. I wish it were the other way.

Which idiot arrogant engineer thought the car's speech system could compete with Siri. I occasionally say "Tune to BBC Radio 4" but that's about it. I can't say "activate wipers" or "open sunroof". It talks too much and isn't good at recognising speech. Siri is frustrating at times but is awesome compared with the car's speech system.

The iPhone can display a large map on the car's display with optional routes to work with times for each one allowing for live traffic info.

Audio, podcasts, music, audio books, Siri, messages and phone work extremely really well. I can even receive messages or use FaceTime audio from my Apple Watch if I leave my iPhone at home.
Red Astra SRi Nav 1.4i (150) with Intellilux, Parking Pack, Sunroof, Climate Control, Winter Pack, AGR seat.

M1chaelR
Astra Model: SRi 1.4 Turbo Auto
Astra Options: Winter pack, Front and rear parking sensors
Astra Colour: Summit White

Post by M1chaelR » Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:21 am

I think there's some trouble with the LG G5 and at the moment and my Huawei P9 is 'incompatible' until the Android 7 update, even though it used to work fine. I think you'll get a more reliable and consistent connection with an iPhone but I think Android Auto is a better product.
SRi 1.4 Turbo (150) Auto in Summit White. Parking sensors and Winter Pack

Proph
Astra Model: 1.0T SRI NAV Ecoflex (105) S/S

Post by Proph » Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:17 am

I also have the P9 and it worked flawlessly until recently but now I can only use AA without the wired connection, not at all happy.
1.0 Turbo SRI NAV (105) Start/Stop Ecoflex in White
powerflex bar, silver rimsavers & matching piano black driving instructor roof sign

M1chaelR
Astra Model: SRi 1.4 Turbo Auto
Astra Options: Winter pack, Front and rear parking sensors

Post by M1chaelR » Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:20 am

Proph wrote:I also have the P9 and it worked flawlessly until recently but now I can only use AA without the wired connection, not at all happy.
Yeah it really annoyed me. I've been reliably informed that Android 7 should sort it though. Other versions of the EMUI rom work fine, it's just that we've been blessed by Huawei with a non working version for some reason!
SRi 1.4 Turbo (150) Auto in Summit White. Parking sensors and Winter Pack

Proph
Astra Model: 1.0T SRI NAV Ecoflex (105) S/S

Post by Proph » Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:22 am

It must have been the latest software update
1.0 Turbo SRI NAV (105) Start/Stop Ecoflex in White
powerflex bar, silver rimsavers & matching piano black driving instructor roof sign

Sri150

Post by Sri150 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 12:49 pm

Have to say I've got an android , a nexus 6P and it works flawlessly. Just plug it in via the the USB port, leave it in the armrest, and it comes up straight away with android auto - brilliant! You can use the sat nav on screen and access the music on the phone through google music - better than the nav model if you ask me! All while charging your phone up as well

MaiLiis29
Astra Model: Elite 1.4 Turbo
Astra Colour: Black

Post by MaiLiis29 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:00 pm

I've got android, Sony xperia and works brilliant! I use Spotify as well instead of Google music and its so easy. Plus charging at the same time is bonus for me :)

DrStrangelove
Astra Model: 1.4 turbo 125ps
Astra Options: Ordered
Astra Colour: Granite gray

Post by DrStrangelove » Thu Dec 29, 2016 1:27 pm

Galaxy S5. AA works without any problems.... and I am not even in one of "supported" countries ...
1.4 turbo 125ps
Granite gray

PACMANIA

Post by PACMANIA » Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:23 pm

Auto android is good for google map flawless but Apple maps is up there as well 8.5 out of 10 but I'm always calling onstar just to annoy the fuck out of them. Also I here Vauxhall is stopping the auto android until Feb 2017 because there are problems with it. For the update

Return to “Faults & Technical”